One of the best things about living in the same town as your boyfriend (finally) is getting to try out all sorts of recipes that you wouldn’t normally make for yourself. This past week we tried out Taste of Home’s Skillet Pork Chops with Apples.
– 4 boneless pork loin chops (4 oz. each + 3/4 in thick)
– 1 tsp. dried oregano, divided
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
– 1 1/2 tsp canola oil
– 2 small apples, cut into 1/2-inch slices
– 1 cup sliced sweet onion (1/4 inch thick)
– 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1. Sprinkle pork chops with 1/2 tsp oregano, salt, and pepper. Place a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork chops; brown 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
2. In same pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add apples, onion, and remaining oregano; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until apples are tender.
3. Reduce heat to medium; stir in applesauce and cider vinegar. Return pork chops to pan; cook, covered, 4-6 minutes or until pork is tender. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Personal Suggestions: I took the leftovers home and the pork chops were much better the second time around (good thing I like leftovers otherwise I never would have known!). If I was doing this again I would marinate the pork chops over night with the apple sauce and cider vinegar and then cook them the next day as recipe directs.
Another personal suggestion is not to spill apple sauce all over your magazine although it does give the magazine a nice ‘used’ look. Happy eating!